POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More portal images - attached files (1/1) : Re: More portal images - attached files (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More portal images - attached files (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Jan 2001 17:13:28
Message: <chrishuff-F48A36.17143522012001@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG### [at] NEWSPOVRAYORG>, Sander Stols
<san### [at] stolscom> wrote:

> Could you please explain to a mere mortal person what is shown in your
> 'portal' images??
> What is a portal?
> I have the feeling I miss something important here :)

Hmm...well, you know what a wormhole is? And I'm not talking about the
kind made by slimy burrowing invertebrates...I mean the relative to
black holes.
The portal pigment basically links one area of space to another...kind
of a "magic mirror" effect. You can see into a different area by looking
into the portal, and you can set things up so you see the portal itself
through the portal, producing a "hall of mirrors" effect. However, this
is done by changing the color of a pigment to what would be visible
through that point on the portal.

You will also be able to set it up to act like a video monitor showing
output from a camera, a less interesting but probably more practical
application.

If you have trouble visualizing it, don't worry...it gives me headaches,
and I'm still not quite sure why type 0 works. Or sure that it does.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><